Saturday, April 27, 2013

Napa Valley

Sunny day again in Sacramento! I think I like this place. First thing was to drop off Larry and Lynda's grandson at his ball practice. In his last game Mason had 5 hits and seveal RBI's. Then to another park to see their granddaughter Emma at her game. We got there just as Emma was batting. Things did not look good, two strikes and then she hit a home run.  And the crowd went wild!
My Aviary-Edited Photo
Then off we were to visit a few of the winery's in the Napa Valley. First stop was at the Bouchon Bakery. It seems as if everyone going to Napa stops here to get a treat and our group was no exception. We had to wait in line and once inside we knew why. Many different types of pastries and some with a twist on the usual recipes. My treat was a maple filled brioche with maple icing topped with bacon bits. Truly a taste of heaven.
My Aviary-Edited Photo
Next a stop to see "The French Laundry" restaurant and their produce gardens. Would have like to sample their food but you are required to make reservations 3 months in advance.

My Aviary-Edited Photo
I was able to view part of their kitchen and you can tell that care is taken in their food preparation. Look forward to eating here, maybe on our next visit.
My Aviary-Edited Photo
  Even before you officially enter the Napa Valley you see the vineyards beside the highway.
  My Aviary-Edited Photo
Greetings as we entered Napa Valley.
My Aviary-Edited Photo
  First tasting was at the Sattui Winery. We sampled 6 wines ranging from a Dry Riesling to Cabernet Sauvignon. For dessert we had a Moscato Frizzante. Looks like we are having fun.
My Aviary-Edited Photo
Larry and I thought that one of these barrels would make a great addition to any home. 1186 gallons = 4483 liters, that should last us a few years.
  My Aviary-Edited Photo My Aviary-Edited Photo
The wine gave us an appetite so we stopped in St. Helena and at at the Cook restaurant. My gnocchi with pancetta and a cream sauce was not shared with anyone, not even my best friend. Yummy sums this dish up.
My Aviary-Edited Photo
After a short drive we stopped at Sterling Vineyards. The tour starts by taking a gondola up to the winery. There are several spots along the way where samples are available. 
Now this is what I call a wine cellar!
My Aviary-Edited Photo
On the road again and heading towards San Francisco we stopped at the CIA, Culinary Institute of America. Their gift store had all sorts of cooking utensils required by both the new cook or gifted Chef. Our son-in -law Graham would have spent his whole afternoon here looking at all the "toys".
My Aviary-Edited Photo
Unfortunately our next stop was going to be our hotel but Larry and Lynda had other plans. We stopped on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge and went to one of the many lookout points. Our view was the typical shot of the bridge but when you are there it is more majestic than you imagine. As you can see there are many ships entering and leaving this busy port city.
  Golden Gate Bridge
 
The vessel below seems very small in comparison to the bridge. My Aviary-Edited Photo
We made it to the hotel and then said our goodbyes to Larry and Lynda. Thanks for all the sight seeing, hospitality and fun we had together. When you come to Vancouver we hope to show you as many sights. Enjoy your cruise and we look forward to getting together later this summer.
  My Aviary-Edited Photo
"Take only memories, Leave only footprints"

No comments:

Post a Comment